WE’RE PRESA HOUSE
A prime destination in Southtown’s First Friday Artwalk, we host monthly art exhibitions featuring notable local & national visual artists.
Launched in October of 2016, Presa House is an artist-run gallery that hosts monthly art exhibitions with a commitment to provide space for emerging and mid-career artists to experiment freely, express innovative ideas, and engage with a diverse audience. Presa House is an event-driven gallery that promotes an eclectic range of local, national and international artists.
The gallery is an 1,306 sq. ft home built in the 1940’s in San Antonio’s historic Lavaca district. Headed by artist/designer, and gallery curator Rigoberto Luna and photographer/artist Jenelle Esparza. Together, Esparza and Luna host a variety of themed group shows and guest-curated exhibitions. Beyond the visual arts, they host local and touring musical acts DJ’s, poetry events, innovative performances, and more.
Presa House makes a concerted effort to be inclusive and non-discriminatory to ensure a true representation of the cultural diversity and social fabric of San Antonio. As a well-established venue, Presa House feels a responsibility in the current political climate to give voice to Latinx artists; not only in San Antonio where the population is 63.2% Hispanic or Latinx, but across the South Texas/Rio Grande region and Mexico.
Meet the team
Jenelle Esparza was born and raised in Corpus Christi, Texas, and is a successful studio artist and a team member of the education department at the McNay Art Museum in San Antonio.
Born and raised in San Antonio, Rigoberto Luna works as a independent designer, consultant, and curator throughout the city. His most notable clients include the City’s Department for Culture & Creative Development and Public Art San Antonio.
Awards and Recognitions
- In June of 2019 Presa House was named a finalist in the 29th annual San Antonio Current’s Best of San Antonio® Readers’ Choice poll for “Best Art Gallery.”
- In March of 2019 Presa House was presented a Contemporary Art Month Award for their exhibit Jose Villalobos: Cicatrices by Ruby City
- In January of 2019 Presa House was invited to present an exhibition titled CTRL+A at K Space Contemporary in Corpus Christi, TX, curated by Rigoberto Luna.
- In June of 2018 Presa House was named a finalist in the 28th annual San Antonio Current’s Best of San Antonio® Readers’ Choice poll for “Best Art Gallery.”
- On December 1, 2017 Presa House was nominated in San Antonio Magazine’s annual Best of the City 2018 for “Best Art Gallery.”
- In September 2017 Presa House was invited to participate in the McNay Art Museums, 10th annual “Art to the Power of Ten.”
- Presa House Gallery’s, Rigoberto Luna awarded “Best Curator” by the McNay Art Museum for their March 2017 Contemporary Art Month exhibition featuring works by Suzy González, Ruben Luna, and Allison Valdivia.